- 6 oz. dark chocolate
- ⅓ cup mashed avocado (about 1 small avocado)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, for rolling (optional)
- Combine the chocolate, vanilla extract and pinch of salt over a double boiler, and melt until completely smooth. Mash the avocado with a fork until no lumps are visible, then stir it into the melted chocolate mixture until smooth and thickened. Place in the fridge to set for 20 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch. (NOT overnight… I left mine in overnight and had to warm it back up to get them to scoop.)
- Next, use a small cookie scoop* to scoop the chocolate into 12 balls. Roll the balls between the palms of your hand to create a smooth surface.
- Roll each truffle in the chopped pecan and chocolate chips mixture until evenly coated. Serve at room temperature, but store in the fridge.
* I use this cookie scoop: Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 1 Tablespoon, 35mm
*Original Recipe: The Detoxinista
I’ve been wanting to create a dessert tasting menu for…. forever! I’ve been collecting “tasting” cups and glasses every time I see them on sale. I found a couple of sets at TJ Maxx after the holidays on clearance! So when my cousin graduated from high school this weekend, I decided that this was the perfect opportunity. We created a whole line up of desserts in cute little mini dishes. We had a BBQ out by the pool and then set up the dessert bar… because if we set it up before Aunt Rosie would have snuck off with all the desserts! (She is worse than I am about cute little cups and desserts!)
Every good menu has a theme, right? The theme here? Avocado! Every dessert was made with avocado. We didn’t say a word until everyone had polished off their desserts. I’ve got some pretty picky eaters in my group and no one seemed to notice our secret ingredient. I have to admit, I was impressed with these Avocado Lime Cheesecakes cups. The avocado is pretty overpowered by the lime…. I think you could serve this and no one would ever know.
I wanted to keep all the desserts gluten-free. Since I was serving these in cups, I didn’t bother with a “crust”. I just ground come pecans and put them in the bottom of the glass. With each spoonful you got a little bit of pecan..yum!
Avocado Lime Cheesecake
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1/4 cup plus 2 TBSP sugar
- 3/4 ripe Haas avocados, pitted
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- pinch of salt
- In a mini food processor*, chop 1/2 cup pecans. Spoon pecans into glasses.
- Heat cream in a small saucepan until warmed, but not boiling. Add sugar and stir until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In the mini food processor , and add the avocado and cream cheese. Pulse to combine. Add lime juice and a pinch of salt and pulse until smooth. Add cooled cream mixture and pulse just to combine.
- Using an icing bag or Zip-Loc, pipe avocado/cream cheese mixture into the glasses. Place in freezer for several hours or overnight.
- Garnish with lime zest or whipped cream if you like, and allow to thaw a bit before serving.
Yield: 8 Servings
* If you want to make a whole pie, just double this recipe or check out the original recipe HERE.
*I use this mini food processor: Black & Decker HC306 1-1/2-Cup One-Touch Electric Chopper
* I used these glasses: Libbey Just Desserts Parfait Glass with Minaiture Stainless Steel Spoon 25-Piece